I am a Ph.D student at the Information Systems Engineering Department at Ben Gurion University of the Negev.
I have a B.Sc in Computer Science and Bioinformatics, M.Sc in the Cyber Security track of the Information Systems Engineering Department and am a member of the Implementation Security and Side-Channel Lab under Dr. Yossi Oren.
My fields of research include:
- Mobile hardware security: especially "hardware meets software" scenarios.
- Side channel information leakage.
I am also co-founder of the start-up Voyage 81 where we do exciting things with cameras!
- Omer Shwartz, Yael Mathov, Michael Bohadana, Yuval Elovici and Yossi Oren. Opening Pandora's Box: Effective Techniques for Reverse Engineering IoT Devices. In 17th Smart Card Research and Advanced Application Conference (CARDIS 2017), 2017.
- Omer Shwartz, Amir Cohen, Asaf Shabtai, and Yossi Oren. Shattered Trust: When Replacement Smartphone Components Attack. In 11th USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technologies--WOOT, 2017.
- In the press:
- The Register - How to pwn phones with shady replacement parts.
- Ars Technica - Secret chips in replacement parts can completely hijack your phone’s security.
- Boing Boing - Hiding malware in boobytrapped replacement screens would undetectably compromise your mobile device.
- Sophos - Touchscreens ‘at risk from chip in the middle attack’, warn researchers.
- Heise [German] - Handy-Ersatzteile können Malware einschleusen.
- Mako [Hebrew] - חוקרים ישראלים מזהירים: אל תתקנו את הסמארטפון
- Omer Shwartz, Guy Shitrit, Asaf Shabtai, and Yossi Oren. From smashed screens to smashed stacks: Attacking mobile phones using malicious aftermarket parts. In Workshop on Security for Embedded and Mobile Systems (SEMS 2017), 2017.
DEUTSCHE TELEKOM INNOVATION LABORATORIES
77 HA-ENERGIA STR.
BEER SHEVA 8470912
- Fall 2017:
- TA - 372.1.2102 - Advanced programming
- Lab - 372.1.4117 - Information security management
- Spring 2017:
- TA - 372.1.1105 - Intro to software engineering
- Fall 2016:
- TA - 372.1.2051 - Algorithms
I can usually be found by following the smell of burnt electronics. I like breaking things to see how they work and scaring people with unexpected trivia. Did you know that most sea cucumbers have teeth in their anus?
My other hobbies include SCUBA diving, rock climbing and biking around the beautiful desert that surrounds the city of Beer Sheba.
You invited to check out my other cool website.